Friday, December 17, 2010

So why not share?

So last weekend I went for a ride. Given the wet weather we'd had earlier in the week and the showers that day, I chose a route that was primarily fire- and vehicle-tracks.

However, there was a very fun bit of cheeky singletrail in there too.

The trail runs parallel to a firetrack that bikes can use, yet less than 10 metres to one side, we supposedly cannot venture, even though the trail is visible for most of the way until it rejoins the track.

The trail is primarily rocky - in fact several large sections of the trail are actually across rock escarpments - so it is fair to say that the impact of ANY user upon the trail surface is minimal (unless you are dragging a jackhammer along behind you...).

Sight lines are reasonable, bar a few sections of tall growth grass and non-native vegetation which could be managed with no real impact upon the overall surroundings.

I was riding "uphill", yet overall the contour is fairly neutral, so speeds are not high, even in the "downhill" direction.

The rocky and twisty nature of the trail further adds to the lower speed nature of the trail.


Now, for the half an hour of riding to get to this particular bit of trail, I saw no one else - not on foot, bike, horse or in vehicle. Given the way the bush was encroaching on the trail, the spiderwebs across it in places and the amount of moisture deposited on me as I brushed past the vegetation, I doubt anyone else had been through in days, despite this being - theoretically - the ideal trail to use in the weather conditions; track access and a rocky tread. And this is not the first time I've used it, yet I have still to see anyone else in this area of the park.

So, whilst low-lying trails that are dirt under foot, tyre or hoof were being used in less than ideal conditions, this currently low use, naturally impact resistant trail can't even be shared.

Can someone please explain the logic in this to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment