Sunday, June 17, 2012

Get posting...

So after the attempt to make more effort to get posting here again on a regular basis, I've already let it slip!

Anyway, had to do some stuff for Uni recently, this one bit ended up being about bikes: thought I'd share, seems apt.

I ride a bike. Actually, bikes. I ride them everywhere, for everything: to work, to the shops, for pleasure. I ride hundreds of kilometres per week, thousands each year. Without bikes, my life would be very different.

Sometimes however, I hate the thought of riding my bike. Often, this corresponds with being tired, or due to poor weather – be it cold, wet or worst of all, windy. Usually though, I push through the feeling. Invariably once I’m on my bike and pedalling, the negativity dissipates. In contrast, when I drive rather than ride, or just leave the bike in the shed and sit on the couch, a pang of guilt creeps into the back of mind. It’s almost as if I’ve let my bikes – and myself – down.

I struggle to see a future without bikes in it. Different experiences with them await. The most obvious of those involves my kids; their first few wobbly rides, the first wheelie and the first jump (probably coinciding with the first crash!). I can’t wait. I hope that I can instil in them the same love as I have for the humble bicycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment